Whether you're looking to shop online or in-person this holiday season, the Lakeway Police Department would like you to keep in mind some important safety advice:
Shopping In Store
- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings.
- Park in well-lit areas, and be sure to lock your car, close your windows, and hide all gifts and shopping bags in the trunk.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Carry your purse close to your body and put your wallet in an inside pocket or front pants pocket.
- Lock your doors immediately upon entering your vehicle.
- When shopping with kids, teach them to go to a store clerk or security guard if you get separated, and don’t allow your kids to go off by themselves.
- It's wise to do some research on a website before you purchase something.
- Log on to the company website yourself - do not enter through an emailed link.
- Check the Better Business Bureau to check history of complaints.
- Look for a padlock icon in the upper right corner of any page asking for your credit card information to indicate it is secure.
- If purchasing or selling items on social apps like Offer Up or Facebook Marketplace, make sure to meet in a well-lit public location and try to not go alone. There is a meeting location specifically for exchanges like this in the Lakeway Police Department parking lot, which is indicated by a green sign and has a security camera pointed at that location.
Preventing Package Theft
- Track deliveries online and confirm delivery has occurred.
- Install a doorbell camera.
- If you know a family member or neighbor will be home, ask them to pick up the packages as soon as they are delivered.
- Request a restricted delivery or signature confirmation.
- Switch delivery location to your place of work or somewhere it can be received by someone and not left on the porch.
- See if the post office or store the product is being shipped from can hold the package for pick up.
The Lakeway Police Department wishes you a safe and Happy Holiday season!