Wildlife Advisory Committee
At its Sept. 17, 2018 regular meeting, City Council unanimously voted to hire wildlife biologist Warren Bluntzer to work with the Wildlife Advisory Committee.
At its Aug. 20, 2018 regular meeting, City Council unanimously voted to temporarily suspend the deer control program for 12 months, effective immediately.
At its Aug. 9, 2018 meeting, the Wildlife Advisory Committee unanimously voted to recommend to the Lakeway City Council that the city temporarily hold its Trap, Transport, and Process program.
A committee was created by the City Council in the summer of 1999, with the following purposes:
- To evaluate the situation concerning our deer and provide recommendations to significantly reduce the herd
- To recommend procedures for compiling data relating to auto accidents involving deer and dead deer removal
- To provide input to the City and Texas Parks and Wildlife to attain permits to significantly remove deer through trapping, transplanting or processing
- To advocate to state legislators the need to provide specific avenues for affected municipalities in the State of Texas to limit excess deer
- To suggest specific goals each year to determine a Deer Management Plan in order to maintain a herd below 500
The committee meets the second Thursday of every month at 6:30 p.m. at Lakeway City Hall, 1102 Lohmans Crossing.
Mission StatementThe Lakeway Wildlife Advisory Committee will make strategic, research-based recommendations to the Lakeway City Council to ensure the safety of the community. We will strive to ensure the long-term habitation of a stable, healthy, wildlife population utilizing sound, humane, wildlife management techniques that are fiscally responsible and supported by the community. The Wildlife Advisory Committee will utilize the guidance of wildlife professionals and state and federal agencies, and community input, to inform and guide our recommendations.
- Dwight Haley, Chair
- Pam Bunn
- George Cornwell
- Charles Edwards
- Dennis Hogan
- Ted McKnight
- Ted Windecker
- Joel Borden - Alternate
- Vacancy - Alternate