Driving Safety Courses / Defensive Driving
You may be able to have a charge dismissed by taking a driving safety course (you may request on line at municipalonlinepayments.com). However, you will lose that right if you do not provide written notice to the court on or before your appearance date of your desire to do so.
Person requesting a driving safety course must:
- Present a written request or an oral request (in person) before answer date on citation
- Plead guilty or nolo contendere and waive his/her right to a jury trial
- Pay court costs in the amount of $109.10 unless offense occurred in a school-crossing zone; then pay court costs in the amount of $134.10
- Present to the court a valid Texas driver's license or permit
- Present to the court proof of financial responsibility on themselves not the vehicle (automobile liability insurance)
- Present to the court a certified copy of your driver's license record from the Department of Public Safety
- Present to the court a uniform certificate of driving safety course completion from a Texas Education Agency approved course
- Swear to an affidavit that you are not currently taking a driving safety course nor have you taken one that is not yet reflected on your driving record (go to City documents to download affidavit to request Defensive Driving).
Defensive Driving Request Form