Councilmember Laurie Higginbotham
A lifelong Texan, Laurie grew up in Plano, Texas just north of Dallas. Laurie has been living in the Austin area for over 25 years and moved to Lakeway in 2009. She has been married to her college sweetheart Jamal Alsaffar for 18 years and they have three wonderful kids attending high school, middle school and elementary school in Lake Travis ISD. All three kids play soccer for LT Elite and Lake Travis Youth Association (LTYA), all coached by Jamal. Laurie is excited to connect younger families to the City of Lakeway government, and she looks forward to contributing to an environment that is responsive, collaborative, and forward thinking.
She may be reached by email.
Education and Experience
Since moving to Austin in 1992, Laurie graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a B.A. and a J.D. She graduated as one of the top 10 Advocates (Order of the Barristers) from the University of Texas School of Law in 1999. She has exclusively represented victims of catastrophic injury: primarily disabled children, active duty military families and veterans across the United States. She is proud to be a member of one of the oldest plaintiffs' law firms in Austin, Whitehurst, Harkness, Brees, Cheng, Alsaffar, Higginbotham & Jacob, PLLC. She has been listed as a Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters every year from 2013 to the present, and was listed as a Texas Rising Star by Thomson Reuters, a recognition for the top 2.5 percent of young lawyers, every year from 2004-2013. She has an AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale Hubbell, Peer Rated for the Highest Level of Professional Excellence and ethical standing.
Laurie has been serving her community in a variety of ways since she arrived in Austin. Her volunteer activities include:
• City of Lakeway Board of Adjustment (2018)
• Committee to Hire the City of Lakeway, City Attorney (2018)
• City of Lakeway Board of Ethics (2012-2018, Chair)
• Committee to Hire New Federal Magistrate for the United States District Court, Western District of Texas (2018-2019)
• Attorney Admissions Committee, United States District Court, Western District of Texas (2004-2017)
• LTISD volunteer with PTO, Teacher Appreciation Chair (2009-2011); “room mom” (2011-2019).
• LTISD CLASS Project (2015-2016).
• Young Men’s Service League, Cavalier Chapter, LTHS
• Created the “Buc Lounge” at Hudson Bend Middle School (2018)
• Destination Imagination coach (2014-2017)
• Volunteer Legal Services at the Emmaus Legal Aid Clinic in Lakeway and with Partnerships for Children (regular volunteer)
• Lake Travis Thrift Shop (2018)
• Partnerships for Children (2017-2018)
• Lloyd Lochridge Inns of Court (Founding Member 2009- present, Team Leader 2009-2018).
• Ronald McDonald House of Austin (2015-present)
• Dell Children’s Trust of Central Texas (2016-present)
• Travis County Women Lawyer’s Association (President, 2007-2008; President Elect 2006-2007, Activities Co-Chair 2003-2005)
• Travis County Women Lawyers Foundation (Chair, 2008-2009; Immediate Past Chair 2009-2010, Chair-Elect 2007-2008, board member 2005-2010).
• Austin Young Lawyers Association Community Service Committee (2000-2009), Coordinated several community service projects including: Holiday Baskets, Fill-a-Backpack; Working Wardrobe and Caritas drives.
• Texas Bar Foundation Member
• Austin Bar Foundation Member
• Travis County Women Lawyer’s Foundation Member
• American Association for Justice, Federal Tort Liability & Military Advocacy Section Chair (2009-2010, 2012-2013).