Open Records / Public Information Act Requests


On March 13, 2020, the Governor of the State of Texas declared a state of emergency in response to COVID-19.  Subsequent to that, the City of Lakeway (“City”) declared a local state of disaster and the Mayor issued an Order on March 17, 2020, that closed certain public facilities and prohibited gatherings of more than 10 people. Since then, ​the Mayor, County, and state officials have ​imposed various updated Orders and additional guidance regarding mitigation measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.  COVID-19 continues to be an epidemic and the previously issued disaster declarations remain in place.

To keep ​City staff and community members safe during this time, beginning on March 18, 2020 the City of Lakeway temporarily closed its physical offices to the public ​as part of its response to COVID-19 and ​efforts to mitigate the spread of the virus.  Therefore,  only employees involved with the City’s response to COVID-19 and those employees who work with essential functions were permitted to remain onsite.  Other employees ​have been working remotely. 

To determine the date by which the City must request an Attorney General ruling or respond to a Public Information Act (“PIA”) request, ​the City only counts business days.  The days that the City’s offices have been closed to the public during this time do not constitute business days for purposes of the PIA, ​because staff members who may be needed to search for and process responsive documents have been occupied with the COVID-19 response or have not been working onsite.  Additionally, this hampers the City's ability to access all of its records as non-essential facilities have been closed.  

​However, as ​it appears to be an extended time period in which COVID-19 will continue to have an impact on resuming the City’s normal operations, and even though the City’s physical offices still remain closed to the public as a measure to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, the City believes it is in a position to begin processing Public Information Act requests ​to the best of its ability assuming conditions remain the same. 

​Therefore, the City will begin processing requests ​on August 5, 2020.  Individual requestors will receive notification that their request is being processed pursuant to the Public Information Act.  If the City is not able to reasonably access records requested, the City will notify the requestor of any anticipated delay and make every effort to respond to the request in accordance with the PIA.  Reasons that the City may not be able to reasonably access records may include employees working remotely and not being able to access records in an office, relevant employees being sent ​or having to remain at home for COVID-19 related reasons, records located off site, or any future local or state orders requiring the cessation or redirection of City operations in response to COVID-19.

Should conditions occur that will impact the City’s ability to reasonably access records, an update will be provided on this webpage in addition to communication with the individual requestor. 

How to Obtain Information

Submit a written request (mail, fax, email, or in person) that includes a detailed description about the information requested including the Accident Report or Police Report number. The request should also include name, address, and a daytime telephone number of the requestor. You may also submit your requests one of the following ways:

Lakeway Police Department
Attn: Admin-Records
1941 Lohmans Crossing Road 
Lakeway, TX 78734

  • Fax your request to (512) 261-2819

Additional Information
For more information, please refer to the Office of the Attorney General website.